2021 Summer Camp registration opens Monday, April 5th @ 8 a.m. Mountain Time
ALL PAPERWORK MUST BE SUBMITTED AT MINIMUM 2 DAYS PRIOR TO ATTENDING CAMP. CHILDREN MAY NOT ATTEND CAMP IF PAPERWORK IS NOT ON FILE.
Select Weeks June 28-August 12
Monday-Thursday | 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Ages: 8 to 14
Cost: $200 per week
Location: Vail & Maloit Park
Call 970-479-2292 for more details and information.
Riding a bike with the wind on your face is a timeless rite of childhood. Learn how to keep this joy for the rest of your life by improving your skills – and taking them to dirt! Learn posture, shifting and cadence to make climbs more efficient. The fun part, descending, will be even more fun when you improve your balance, bike handling and technical riding. We’ll teach trail etiquette, nutrition and hydration while riding varied terrain. We’ll take advantage of break time to teach basic bicycle maintenance and explore the natural environment. A low rider-to-coach ratio allows for individual attention, and games and challenges help keep the groups together while allowing children to push themselves (or rest) at the appropriate level. We are excited to partner with Ski and Snowboard Club Vail Cycling program for coaching and with Vail Resorts for access to Vail Mountain.
Required equipment and skills:
- Equipment: Mountain bike and helmet, water bottle or hydration pack
- Bike must be a true mountain bike with free-wheel, front and rear hand brakes, and gears. Front- or full-suspension is recommended, but a fully rigid mountain bike can often save weight, which is optimal especially for small riders.
- Skills: Proficient with riding on pavement including starting, riding, braking, turning, stopping and bike-handling in tight situations. Experience on dirt is highly recommended.
- Ride a lot before camp: some base fitness and time on the bike will make camp more enjoyable. There is no substitute for time! Your rear-end will thank you for every hour you ride before camp starts.
- Give us a call if you have questions about your child’s readiness for this camp or your bike’s appropriateness for riding trails.
What to bring:
- Required equipment and skills! (see above)
- One (or two) layers in case weather turns cold or wet
- Lunch: A good-sized picnic lunch (no refrigeration or heating required) with items your child will want to eat.
- Snacks: Quite a few snacks that can go with the rider in pockets or in a hydration pack on the trail.
Note: VRD Mountain Bike Camp will be canceled in the event of heavy or long-term rain. Riding on wet trails is not good for our bikes or our trails. VRD will have off-trail, on-bike activities available in the case of light rain. We will try to extend camp with off-bike activities if rain persists. If rain continues, and we cannot be outside on our bikes, mountain bike camp will be canceled. Friday will be a make-up day in the event one or more days need to be canceled. VRD camps always take shelter from lightning.