2020 COVID-19 Blue Square Phase Rules & Guidelines for Whitewater Races
These rules are to preserve the health and safety of our participants and staff and to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Registration is limited and will be online ONLY. There will be no day of registration.
- Just kayak and stand-up paddleboarder races will be offered. No two man raft groups will be offered.
- Races will be comprised of two individual time trial runs down the creek starting at Covered Bridge and ending at International Bridge. There will be multiple challenges along the route that must be comppleted, or racer will incur a time penalty, Your combined time from the two runs will determine placing.
- Currently racers must reside in Eagle County.
- Social distancing will be strictly enforced for racers and spectators.
- Racers must always wear face coverings except when in/on their boat.
- Racers with any symptoms of illness will not be allowed to participate. These symptoms include cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, fever, runny nose, head or body aches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of taste or smell.
- Racers not willing to follow these guidelines will be asked to leave the venue.
- Registered Kayakers should arrive between 4 and 5 p.m. to pick up their race bib and be at the starting line by 5:05 p.m. for a safety meeting. Kayak racing shall commence at 5:15 p.m.
- Registered SUPers should arrive between 5:45 and 6:10 p.m. to pick up their race bib and be at the starting line by 6:15 p.m. for a safety meeting. SUP racing shall commence at 6:30 p.m.
- Please read Whitewater Covid-19 Protocols and Whitewater FAQ's for more information.
Online Registration | Registration Form |
Tuesdays | June 2 - June 16, 2020 | 5:00 p.m. | Vail Village
|Series Registration||Single Race Pre-Registration||Race Day Registration||Race Times|
|Kayak & SUP||N/A||$14||
The Vail Recreation District partners with Alpine Quest Sports to host the annual Bloch and Chapleau Vail Whitewater Race Series. The races will be divided between two categories, including kayak (under 9'6"), and stand-up paddleboard (SUP) (under 11') with different course challenges every week. The course challenge for each event will be determined the day prior based on river flows.
Registration will be online only and is limited to 15 racers per category. Race day bib pick up begins at 4:00 p.m. at the Vail Whitewater Park at International Bridge and all races begin at 5.15 for kayakers pm (Mandatory Safety talk and couse instructions at 5:00 pm. Races begin at 6:30 for SUP (Mandatory Safety Talk at 6:15)
All three races start at the Covered Bridge and end at International Bridge. Short-term gear drop is available at Checkpoint Charlie. Please park in the Vail Village parking structure.
Who can participate?
Everyone! The Vail Whitewater Race Series is open to paddlers residing in Eagle County ages 16 and up and intermediate to expert abilities. The skills to run class III whitewater in your chosen craft are required. This is a fun way to track your individual performance, progress throughout the series and compete against others. All competitors are entering at their own risk.
Thanks to and everyone entering a race this year will be entered into raffles to win a Tundra 35 and a Hala Atcha 86
June 2, 2020 Results Thank you for racing we will me mailing podium prizes.
Thanks to our partners that make the 2020 Vail Whitewater Race Series possible!
A huge thanks to our partner: Town of Vail, Bloch and Chapleau Attorneys at Law, Alpine Quest Sports, Altitude Club, Hala, Howard Head Sports Medicine, New Belgium Brewing, Sweet Protection, Optic Nerve, Kokatat, Hyside