COVID-19 Protocols & Guidelines for Winter Race Events
These rules are to preserve the health and safety of our participants and staff and to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Races will be limited to 75 participants total.
- Races will start in waves of 25 people, 10-15 minutes apart depending on venue and other logistics.
- Racers are asked to leave the venue immediately after finishing their race.
- At this time, races will NOT include an after party or award ceremony.
- Names of raffle winners will be drawn prior to the race and posted at the finish line. Winners can pick up prizes upon completion of race before exiting venue.
- Results will be posted online. There will not be an in-person protest period. Participants will have 24 hours after race to protest via email. After protest period closes, top three finishers in each category will be announced and awards will be mailed.
- Registration will be online ONLY. There will be no day of registration.
- Social distancing guidelines of six feet between individuals will be strictly enforced for racers and spectators.
- Starting positions will be designated to ensure six feet of distance between competitors.
- Participants will be required to wear face masks when registering/picking up their bib, at the start line and upon completion of their race. Racers do not need to wear masks while during the race.
- Racers agree to NOT attend if they have any symptoms or exposure risks as listed by the CDC guidelines.
- If racers cannot participate due to illness or exposure to illness, registration fees will be credited to their account to be used for another race without penalty.
- At-risk populations are discouraged from participating.
- Anyone not adhering to these procedures will be asked to leave.
For the first time ever, the Vail Recreation District is hosting a winter race event at the Meadow Mountain Recreation Area in Minturn. Course details are still in the works but we anticipate it being a circuit course where participants can choose one, two or three laps. Each lap will include uphill skinning, downhill skiing and boot-pack hiking.
Due to COVID safety protocols and public health orders, there will not be an after party, however raffle winners will be pre-drawn and can be picked up at the finish line and race prizes will be mailed to category winners.
Date: Saturday, February 20, 2021
Time: 8 a.m - Expert Racers (3 laps)
9 a.m. - Intermediate Racers (2 laps), Beginner Racers (1 lap)
Where: Meadow Mountain Recreation Area, Minturn, CO
Price: Pre-registration - $36 adults/$25 students
Due to COVID safety protocols and public health orders, participation is limited to 75 people total and day-of registration may not be available.
Online registration closes at 9 p.m. on Friday.
Race Day Bib Pickup: Meadow Mountain parking lot beginning at 7:00 a.m.
Pre-Race Bib Pickup: Friday, Feb. 19. 4-6 p.m. at Cripple Creek Backcountry in Avon.
Bag Drop: Extra clothing can be stored at a tent by the bib pickup tent.
Categories: Expert - 3 laps, Intermediate - 2 laps, Beginner - 1 lap. Results will be broken down by gender and age (19 and Under; 20-39; 40-59; 60+)
Course: See above link for map. One lap = approx. 2 miles, 800 feet elevation gain
Required Gear: Helmets and metal edges are required for this race.
Thank you to Outthere...everyone racing will get a free buff. Following the race, participants can show their race bib at Vail Mountain Coffee Roasters Cafe in Minturn for a free drip coffee.
NEW! Beginner Skimo Clinic - Wednesday, Feb. 17
In preparation for the VRD's Meadow Mountain Skimo race on 2/20, the VRD and local skimo veteran, Dawes Wilson, will host a beginner skin track clinic at Meadow Mountain on Wednesday Feb. 17 from 4-5:30 p.m. for those new to skimo racing. The clinic will go over basic skin track skills including kick turns, traction at the limit, pole use and transitions as well as preview the course for Saturday's race.
The clinic will be free, but preregistration is required and participation limited. Please sign up here.
Thanks to our partners: