COVID-19 Protocols & Guidelines for Winter Race Events
These rules are to preserve the health and safety of our participants and staff and to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Races will be limited to 75 participants total.
- Races will start in waves of 25 people, 10-15 minutes apart depending on venue and other logistics.
- Racers are asked to leave the venue immediately after finishing their race.
- At this time, races will NOT include an after party or award ceremony.
- Names of raffle winners will be drawn prior to the race and posted at the finish line. Winners can pick up prizes upon completion of race before exiting venue.
- Results will be posted online. There will not be an in-person protest period. Participants will have 24 hours after race to protest via email. After protest period closes, top three finishers in each category will be announced and awards will be mailed.
- Registration will be online ONLY. There will be no day of registration.
- Social distancing guidelines of six feet between individuals will be strictly enforced for racers and spectators.
- Starting positions will be designated to ensure six feet of distance between competitors.
- Participants will be required to wear face masks when registering/picking up their bib, at the start line and upon completion of their race. Racers do not need to wear masks while during the race.
- Racers agree to NOT attend if they have any symptoms or exposure risks as listed by the CDC guidelines.
- If racers cannot participate due to illness or exposure to illness, registration fees will be credited to their account to be used for another race without penalty.
- At-risk populations are discouraged from participating.
- Anyone not adhering to these procedures will be asked to leave.
Date: Saturday, Jan. 30, 2021
Time: 7 a.m., 7:10 a.m. and 7:20 a.m.*
Where: Arrowhead Village
Price: Preregistration: $36 adults/$25 students
Due to COVID safety protocols and public health orders, participation is limited to 75 people total and no day-of registration will be available.
Online registration closes at 9 p.m. on Friday.
Race Day Bib Pickup: Broken Arrow restaurant patio in Arrowhead (everyone will need to sign a Vail Resorts waiver) beginning at 6 a.m.
Pre-Race Bib Pickup: Alpine Quest Sports, Friday January 29th from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Everyone who picks up their bib early is entered into a raffle to win a free pair of Dynafit Trail Running Shoes.
Bag Drop: Extra clothing can be stored in Blinkey's next to Broken Arrow
Categories: Uphill (ski, splitboard, other); Skimo (up and down)
Course: Uphill route will take participants up Cresta and Pow Wow. Downhill route will be Golden Bear.
Required Gear: Helmets and metal edges are required for the skimo (downhill) portion of the race.
*If you are only doing the uphill portion and plan to take the lift down, please register for Wave 3 (7:20 a.m. start). If you planning to run down, feel free to sign up for any available wave.
Back for a second year, the Arrowhead Uphill and Skimo is one race in the three-part Bloch and Chapleau Vail Grail Winter Races. Join us for the first-ever Minturn Meadow Mountain Skimo on February 20 and the Krueger Family Shamrock Shuffle on Saturday, March 13. Due to COVID-19 safety precautions and other considerations, the Vail Grail Winter Races will not be offered as a series this year.
The Vail Recreation District brings their winter race series to Arrowhead with an uphill and skimo competition. Competitors can choose the uphill or skimo (ascent and descent) option and can use any means to get up the mountain (snowshoes, skis, splitboards or winter running devices). Skis or a snowboard are required to compete in the skimo competition.
Participants will ascend approximately 1,700 vertical feet and just under two miles from the base of Arrowhead Village to the top of Arrow Bahn Express Lift. The event will conclude with a grab-and go breakfast from Broken Arrow Restaurant at the base of Arrowhead. Due to COVID safety protocols and public health orders, there will not be an after party, however raffle winners will be pre-drawn and can be picked up at the finish line and race prizes will be mailed to category winners.
Thanks to our partners: